What this is about
- Who we are
- Why we need your personal information
- How it is collected
- How it is, and may be, used
- With whom it may be shared
- The rights you have to control the information we collect
In the process we will endeavour to make the notice as clear and understandable as possible.
However, if you have any questions you can always contact us at email@example.com or by writing to Privacy Officer, Beales Department Store, 36 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH1 1LJ.
And please note you are ultimately in control of your data. If there is ever anything you wish to be deleted, amended, or changed you can do this using the details provided above. Further information about your specific rights are provided later in this document.
Who we are
Beales and Beales Furniture are trading names of Beale Limited whose registered office is Beales Department Store, 36 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, Dorset BH1 1LJ. When referring to Beales, Beales Furniture (or to ‘we’, ‘us’, or ‘our’), we mean Beale Limited.
Why we need your personal information in the first place
This may seem obvious but we do need your personal details, eg name and address in order to fulfil any on-line purchases you may make and to talk to you about your order. If you are a Love Rewards member we need to use the personal data you provide when you register and your subsequent purchases to send you the benefits to which you are entitled as a Love Rewards member.
Plus, you may provide us with your communication preferences, post, email, phone, mobile, so we can keep you up to date with offers and promotions which could be of interest to you. This could be by registering for our newsletter, entering a competition or when you make a purchase or join Love Rewards.
In certain cases, it is necessary to perform standard identity checks with a Credit Reference/Fraud Protection Agency to ensure your card is being used legitimately, or to confirm your age when purchasing an age restricted item.
We also collect information from you in order to improve the products and services that we provide and to offer protection to our customers and our business. We want to make sure that you receive the best possible customer experience at Beales. More detailed information about how we use your data is provided below.
How it is collected
In the first instance, when making an on-line purchase all the personal data needed to complete the transaction is collected. This includes, your full name and personal address, a delivery address if this is different, and the necessary information required to make payment of the purchase. Your payment is processed by a third party and we may pass your information to our suppliers in order to fulfil your order.
In addition, of course, we collect full details of the actual purchase itself.
You can choose to create an account after making your payment, this means you will not need to enter all of your personal details if you shop with us on-line again. We will store your personal data for this purpose including your delivery details and payment card details (which are stored by a third-party payment processing company). We will ask you to set up a password when you create your account to control access, it is entirely up to you if you would like to set up an account.
You can also choose if you would like to receive emails from us about products, promotions and events. It’s entirely up to you if you would like to take advantage of this service.
We also use 2 types of cookies on our website; session cookies and persistent cookies.
Session cookies, which are only temporary and erased when you leave the site, enable the website to remember important details such as whether you have logged in.
Persistent cookies are stored on your device until you erase them or they expire. They are used in certain areas of the site such as retaining the content of your basket between visits, or if you follow a link from one of our partner sites. They allow us to tailor any offer more specifically to you as a customer.
Love Rewards Membership
Love Rewards members personal details are collected at the point of application, this could be via the completion of a manual application form in-store or by using our website www.bealesrewards.co.uk
you might also choose to register a card collected in-store at our website where you can change or update the personal details recorded on the original application at any time. We will ask you to set up a password when you create your account.
When you complete your application form you will be asked if you would like to receive information about our latest offers and events by post, email and SMS. It is entirely up to you if you wish to take advantage of this information and you can change your mind at any time by calling our members’ helpline on 0113 201 8419 or by following the instructions on each communication we send you.
Subsequently we need to monitor each and every transaction made using this card in order to ensure you are able to collect the benefits to which you are entitled.
Other times your data may be collected
- If you choose to provide your email address at our website so that you can receive news and information about us.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you contact us with a query or complaint.
- When you enter a prize draw or competition.
- When you choose to complete a survey or questionnaire that we send you.
- When you fill in any forms in one of our stores.
- From CCTV systems operating in our stores and carparks.
- We may also collect data from publicly-available sources or from third parties where there is a legal basis for the sharing of this information.
How it is, and may be, used
Initially the data collected is used to complete the process which is either your application for Love Rewards membership or your purchase as an on-line customer.
It is then subsequently used to provide the appropriate levels of service you may reasonably expect as an existing customer.
Your privacy is protected by law, which says that we can only use your personal information if we have a proper reason to do so. The reasons why we may process your personal information are:
- To fulfil a contract we have with you;
- When it is our legal duty;
- When it is in our legitimate interest; or
- When you consent to it.
A legitimate interest is when we have a business or commercial reason to use your information, but this must not unfairly go against your rights or freedoms.
Below is a list of the ways that we may use your personal information, and which of the reasons listed above we rely on to do so. This is also where we tell you what our legitimate interests are.
As an on-line website customer
- To administer your payments for purchases made, this processing is required to fulfil the contract.
- To assist in fraud prevention and illegal activities. This processing might include monitoring transactions, website logins or browsing activities to protect our website, this processing is undertaken on the basis of legitimate business interest and to protect our customers.
- To process your order and fulfil our contractual obligations, if required we may send your delivery details to 3rd party suppliers.
- To assist in responding to queries about your purchase, which might include refunds. We may also keep a record of our responses. This processing is undertaken so that we can fulfil our contractual and legal obligations and our legitimate interest in providing excellent customer service.
- As an online accountholder we will store your name and address details so that you can order from us in the future without providing your details again. You can amend these details at any time. This processing is undertaken only when you consent to us creating an account for you after you make a purchase.
As a Love Rewards member
- To capture and store your application data so that it can be used to create your member account, this enables us to fulfil our contractual obligations. If your details change you can update them at any time by contacting us, we will keep a record of any changes in order to fulfil our legal obligations and to administer your account.
- To monitor your purchases, calculate your points earned, assess your voucher qualification and post them to you when appropriate, in the fulfilment of our contractual obligations.
- We will also provide members who ask us to do so with access to their transaction history and points balance via our members’ website. We will store your email address and password provided at the point of registration to control future access to the website. This processing will be on the basis of consent.
- To record the use of your voucher. We undertake this processing on the basis of legitimate interest, so that we can protect against fraud and respond to your requests for information about your voucher. We may also contact members who have not used their voucher where we have consent or a legitimate interest in doing so.
As an on-line customer, newsletter sign up and / or Love Rewards member
- To conduct analysis and research activities to improve and develop the products and services we can provide for you and to help inform business decisions. This processing is undertaken on the basis of legitimate business interest.
- To develop and carry out personalised postal marketing activities which might include information about products, events or promotions. We will undertake this processing on the basis of legitimate interest. We will not contact you by post when you have indicated that you do not want to receive this information.
- To telephone you about products, events and promotions using a mobile or landline number that you have provided to us. We will not contact any number that is TPS registered or when you have indicated that you do not want us to contact you via telephone. We will undertake this processing on the basis of legitimate interest.
- With your consent, we will use the personal data provided to us to keep you informed about promotions, events, products and services by email or SMS.
- Some of the communications that we send you may include special tailored offers, we will use your transaction history and other information you have provided to tailor these communications, we might also combine information from third parties to whom you have given consent. We will process this data on the basis of legitimate business interest and in order to enhance your customer experience.
You can change your marketing contact permissions at any time, please see further details about how to do this below. We will also provide information about how to opt out of future communications on every marketing communication that we send to you.
Please be aware that if you opt out of communications it is possible that they will continue for a short period whilst this change is processed.
- To monitor and keep records of our communications with you so that we can respond to your requests for information, so that we can fulfil legal obligations and so that we can use this information in the tailoring of future offers on the basis of legitimate interest.
- To analyse your reaction to our marketing / advertising activity, so that we can improve how we communicate to customers and understand the success of promotions. This processing is undertaken on the basis of legitimate interest.
- To create anonymized customer profiles for marketing and buying purposes. For example, we may combine data collected from across our business along with third party data and publicly available lists. This processing is undertaken on the basis of our legitimate business interest.
- To administer prize draws or competition entries where you have consented to this processing at the point of entry.
- To send surveys or feedback requests, these messages will not include direct marketing or promotional materials and will be undertaken on the basis of legitimate business interest.
- To develop, test and improve systems, services and products that we offer to you, on the basis of legitimate interest.
- To comply with our legal obligations and when required to share information with law enforcement.
As a customer or visitor to one of our stores
- To protect our customers, premises and assets we operate CCTV systems in our stores and car parks which record images for security, where we detect unlawful behaviour we may share images with law enforcement agencies, we may also share information from fraud prevention activities. We process this data on the basis of legitimate interest in protecting our business and our customers.
With whom may your data be shared
In the usual course of our business, we may use other third party organisations known as ‘data processors’ under data protection law to support the essential delivery of our services. These organisations process your personal information on our behalf.
These types of organisations are:
- Mailing, email, SMS messaging, and/or print fulfilment organisations (to enable us to communicate with you efficiently);
- Providers of payment processing services (to enable us to process sales).
- Providers of loyalty scheme management services.
- Customer service response managers.
- Providers of records management services such as secure disposal suppliers, and IT storage providers (to enable us to secure data efficiently);
- Providers of IT systems or services (to enable us to run Beale Limited efficiently);
- Market researchers (to help us to improve the services we offer);
- Providers of information management services (to help us learn about our customers);
When we share your information with our approved third party providers, our contractual relationship with them prevents them from using your information for any other purpose outside of our instructions to them. They may use their own third party data processors, but are always required to meet the same legal requirements as Beale Limited does.
Beale Limited never share or sell your information to external companies for their own marketing purposes.
We will share your information with authorities where we are legally obliged to do so.
Security for your personal data
Beale Limited recognises the importance of protecting your personal information and we take care to meet our legal duties. We put in place all reasonable technical, security and procedural controls required to protect your personal information for the whole of its life, in whatever format we hold that information in.
Data protection law holds all countries in the European Economic Area (‘EEA’) to the same high standards. If we transfer information outside of the EEA, we will make sure that it is protected to these standards. We will only send your personal information to countries outside of the EEA if:
- Transfer is to a non-EEA country with privacy laws that give the same protection as the EEA or
- A contract with the recipient exists that means they must protect it to the same standards as within the EEA
How long will we keep your personal data?
We will keep your personal information for as long as you are a member of our Love Rewards programme or customer of Beales PLC.
After you stop being a member or customer:
We may keep your personal information for up to 8 years for one of these reasons:
- To respond to questions or complaints;
- To show that we treated you fairly; or
- To maintain records according to legal requirements.
The rights you have to control the information we collect
You have very specific rights which you are always entitled to exercise.
- Request a copy of all the information we hold including where and when it was collected
- Question the accuracy of any information you think may be incorrect
- Update any details you think may be out of date or incomplete
- Change your communication contact preferences or consent for contact
- Object to the use of your personal information and request it is stopped
- Ask us to delete or remove any or all of the information held that we do not need to retain for legal reasons
- Request a copy of the information we hold in a portable format, that can be easily reused
To request any of these actions contact our Privacy Officer at Customerservices@beales.co.uk or write to Privacy Officer, Beales Department Store, 36 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH1 1LJ.
You can also choose to leave our Love Rewards programme at any time, although this would mean that you would forfeit any points that you have earned.
Your right to complain
If you are not satisfied with our response or believe that we are not processing your personal information in accordance with the law, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
- By telephoning 0303 123 1113
- or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional contact methods are detailed on their website: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us